Monday, September 9, 2013

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



Since this is a very popular book, I doubt I really need to write a summary for it. Never-the-less, I will give you the general blurb.

(Adapted from Goodreads)

Katniss, 16, takes her sister's place in the televised annual Hunger Games, competing against Peeta, the boy who gave them bread to survive after their father died. The cruel Capitol forces each of 12 districts to submit a boy and girl, ages12-18, to fight to the death. There is ultimately only one survivor. 


~


When this series first became a big thing, I wasn't part of it. First off, when I heard they were making a movie called "The Hunger Games" I was like 'what in the world?'. Then as I started to hear more of what it was about I was even more apprehensive. A bunch of kids fighting to the death? Gross. 

It wasn't until a while after the movie was out on DVD that I got truly interested in the story. I'm sure part of my wanting to read it was because it was so popular, but it was more the plot; the idea of a nation that could one day be the one I'm living in right now. It seemed impossible...but is it really? I'm not saying I expect America to turn into something exactly like Panem, but I believe it's not that far-fetched. 

Anyway, back to The Hunger Games. as I said, it wasn't until after the movie was out, and the fandom had quieted down a bit, that I was actually interested in reading it. My parents, however, weren't sure if it was something I should read. It took some time, but eventually my mom and I sat down and watched the movie. 

Now, I know what you're thinking: What? She watched the movie before reading the book?!? Hypocrite! 

(I'm just going to hide in a corner now, while your anger cools off...it's probably not the best time to mention I haven't read the Lord of the Rings trilogy yet, is it?...)

...
...
...
...
...


I'm back! Are you done shooting furious cyber-darts at me? Okay, good. 

So, yeah I watched the movie before having read the book. I really wish I hadn't though, the book is SO much better! (not to mention I think the movie was pretty poorly directed...)


Reasons to like The Hunger Games:

1. You don't find a lot of well written books in first person. This was a reason why I had wanted to read it. I like writing in first person. Also, The Hunger Games does not have a lot of dialogue, which surprised me because I didn't even notice until halfway through that something was missing. I guess it was because it's written in a way that dialogue isn't needed. All you need is Katniss' thoughts and emotions.

2. I felt pulled on to an emotional journey: Katniss' emotional journey. It was so easy to feel what she felt and see what she saw. She is an amazingly written character.

3. The plot. Even though the plot was ruined for me from watching the movie, it still is a twisty-turney plot that leaves you wanting more.

4. The secondary characters are very well written. You get a good feel for them, their lives, their past, their emotions.

5. If you've seen the movie and haven't read the book there are still plenty of surprises they left out in the film. Read the book!



So, overall this book is so worth reading. Just as long as you're up for a futuristic distopian about death, loss, love, courage, rebellion, trust, confusion, and grumpy cats.  :)
 
 
~


5 stars

Age 15+ (depends on maturity level)
Reasons: brief sexual reference, kissing, and kids killing each other. The gore is well handled and not too gross, but definitely not written for someone who doesn't like death, blood, or killing.


~


Question for those who've read the books/seen the movie:

Who do you prefer, Gale or Peeta? Why? What do like of their personality?


My answer:

Peeta for sure. I mean, Gale is nice and sweet and a good friend, but I just feel like Katniss and Peeta are made for each other. Besides, Peeta's a baker. I'd choose baker over hunter any day ;)

  
 

2 comments:

  1. TEAM PEETTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

    Sorry. That's not even coming from someone who's read the books or seen the movie. :P I just like him way better than Gale from what I've seen.

    I want to read this and see the movie. The movies both look SO good! (Except I'm a little reserved about the violence.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah. Peeta is really likeable :)

      Yes, I know what you mean. The violence isn't bad, but it's still killing. Personally, I think the murders/deaths are portrayed well. You know it's wrong, you know Katniss knows it's wrong, yet it's a matter of survival. Kill or be killed. Lots of conflict.

      Delete

I love comments! Thanks so much for sharing what you think :) I always try to reply to your comments, so make sure to come back again and check!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...