Thursday, December 5, 2013

Wings by Aprilynne Pike


From Goodreads: Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.



~


I found this book on Goodreads and, being the die-hard-fairy-lover I am, went to my library and checked it out. Lo and behold on the front cover were these words, which I had failed to notice until I got home:

"A REMARKABLE DEBUT" ~ Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight Saga.



That about turned me off. Not that I'm absolutely against the Twilight series, it just seems like a waste. I've seen the first movie and have read the first few chapters of the first book, but just wasn't interested...at all. 

So I almost put the book down.

Almost.

Sadly, if I had I would not have missed anything. Wings had an interesting fairy-plot (what kind of fairies they were, what their history was, etc.) and the characters weren't that bad. I didn't finish the book wanting to read the next, so I guess that speaks for itself. The main thing that made the worst impression on me was the dreaded LOVE TRIANGLE. I had a feeling there would be some cheesy, sappy romance (Hello, the author of Twilight recommends it) so I shouldn't be that dissapointed.

But I am.

I'm a fairy lover. I still watch the Tinker Bell movies whenever I can with my little sister...and you know what? I'm proud of my love for fairies. Many girls grow out of their wishful fairy thoughts, but not me. Maybe it's because I'm a writer (but more likely it's because I don't want to offend Peter Pan if I ever met him) or maybe it's that I haven't grown up yet.

Anyone else fall in love with him in this movie?

Thing is, if I'm going to read a faerie book I'm expecting something spectacular, something I'd love my sister to read someday. Wings was not spectacular; it was a fast, easy read and although I don't regret reading it, it won't be something I recommend to others.

It was just...eh.



~


3 Stars

Ages 14+
(brief sexual references)





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks so much for sharing what you think :) I always try to reply to your comments, so make sure to come back again and check!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...